January 25 - Baked my first loaf of sourdough bread after weeks of anxiety over my starter—it only took 15 hours.
January 24 - Dinner at Momofuku Ko
A little over a year ago I moved to New York and within that time quickly became a David Chang fan girl; an all too familiar story I’m sure. Noodle Bar, Ssam Bar, Ma Peche and too many Crack Pies has all led up to this: completing the Momofuku series with a 10pm dinner at Ko on Chinese New Year.
A little too ‘under the sea’ for me but otherwise delicious.
1. Salsify puree with black truffle + a chiccarone (pork rind) + fried oyster
2. Scallops with buttermilk, soy and poppy seeds
3. Spanish mackerel with ginger pickeled shallots
4. Gruyere consomme with brioche, bone marrow, candied lemon zest
5. Smoked soft-boiled egg with caviar and small fingerling potatoes
6. Ricotta cavatelli with beef tongue and horseradish
7. Trout with rutabaga mayo, panko and radishes
8. Shaved foie gras served over lychee, pine nut brittle and a Riesling gelee
9. Muscovy duck with pomegranate glaze served over Chinese mustard greens with braised pumpernickel turnip
10. Fruit (calamansi?) sorbet with Early Grey panna cotta
11. Toasted passionfruit meringue, coconut custard and banana
January 23 - E-red envelope from the parents for Chinese New Year. ‘88 Dragons represent.
To the best kitty companion of 13 years a girl could have. May the feline afterlife be filled with the smell of croissants and freshly shampooed hair.
(by alysha colangeli)
It really is The Beautiful Game; no other sport comes close.
Spanish Liga Real Madriv vs. Villarreal CF game. April 23, 2005.